Imagine you itchy arm and tell you that you can not scratch until you get home, because only there you can. Multiply by 4 to 5 times daily . This is how children feel when they need to urinate and must endure until they reach the bathroom. It is normal that at first did not understand why they can not do so when they want. But it’s all about training.
Obviously babies are not born with the ability to control his body, and the acquisition of hygiene need learning that begins by teaching the meaning of the signals your body sends you .
When is the time ?
There is no set age to start learning this habit of hygiene. It depends on the maturity of their sphincters. Usually this happens between 18 and 36 months. Although as with everything, there are children who get before this age and others later . Usually it’s your own child who will tell you . Stay alert to the signs that will give you to start “training” :
- You can walk without anyone’s help .
- The child begins to show interest in hygiene practices of adults. Accompanies you to the bathroom and want to know how urine. It is the moment you start to realize the anatomical differences and begin to play with their genitals associating the word ” pee” .
- You can predict when you want to go to the bathroom , because it does more regularly.
- Has ability to play alone at least five minutes.
- You can get on and off easily without pants handedly .
- Has the ability to take turns and is tolerant .
- The diaper stays dry for at least 2 hours. This means that you have more neuromuscular control that makes you retain for a period of time.
- I have the uncomfortable wet diaper .
- Da signs of wanting to pee , crossing his legs , touching , holding the diaper, bouncing , hiding , crouching , etc. .
- Alerts you already did it.
- When the child is ready for toilet training , we recommend you do not turn back . The decision shall be final .
How to do it ?
There are four main stages in the evolution of the child that may help you teach your child how to give up diapers forever
- Says when I already did: First, I congratulate him for having warned. Then a good idea is to ask you to go find a new diaper together and organize what needed to change .
. 2 He says when he’s doing : Please talk naturally and never scold him because he has not had time .
- Before I let them say : If it warns that will make or shows signs of wanting , ask if you want to go to the bathroom. Once there, if you got dry , help just in what you ask , but do not do anything for him .
April . Finally waking up in the morning , see if the diaper remained dry for several days . This is the ideal time to take the diaper to change it for long underwear.
Pelancha Gómez- Olazabal, the Cockaigne Infant School , shows us some important guidelines to keep in mind to start learning hygiene habits :
The developmental age:
1 st: The child must be physiologically and emotionally prepared .
Physiologically, because pee is imposed at fixed times and for this you need to have developed the use of the sphincter muscle and have a mental act of retaining control .
Emotionally , because from their perspective, it makes it to please his mother with something she will be glad to change to get other privileges : being greater benefits everyone and has its compensations .
2nd. Each child is different and we should respect their way of being . There are children who are happily sitting on the potty, others show fear, others prefer to use stand … Never have to force them , because all you get is a complete failure and an emotional rejection because when toilet training becomes a battle between mother and child , it will use it as a weapon against their parents anytime.
3rd. There is no set age to control
As we always say , not all children with similar chronological ages we are equal. This is often forgotten us , and inevitably compare them with what they have done their brothers , cousins or neighbors . Experience confirms that a child begins to show interest in control after two years. Pelancha also recommended to inform the teacher about how and when we start to control . The child may become disoriented when receiving mixed messages. The mother and the teacher should agree on how to do it , in the frequency, time spent on the potty , what do you prefer and resources used to go getting it . There are children who willingly accept the use of the potty at school and not at home or vice versa. It all depends on who has established emotional relationship with her mother and educator.
4th. Given this learning we must be as relaxed and calm as possible. The more interest we have in our son learn this practice, more anxiety transmit and later we learn . Therefore , avoid excessive pressures or have you sitting too long , because you only get the child to hold until nancy.
5th. never be embarrassing when soiled diapers or pants. We must applaud their achievements to be proud of themselves and know that your parents know what you are doing receive .
6th . ‘Once the child has become accustomed to do without diapers , we should not think that there will be more difficulties. Any emotional change in your life can make you return to the previous situation. The mother’s pregnancy , the birth of a sibling, a family illness , moving house , etc. . In this case there is a failure to show it as this significantly affects their self-esteem and personal security. If your child already owns a while and there has been a visible reason for it , you have to analyze what happens and what does he mean by this regression or reminder.
Enuresis is the involuntary discharge of urine that occurs after the age when bladder control has been achieved , usually up to 5 years old. It is considered therefore enuresis, when an older child wets the bed at least twice a month or more frequently .
Why wet the bed?
There are several reasons , including:
– Sometimes the problem is passed from parents to children.
- Some children do not produce enough of a hormone that tells the kidneys to slow the process of making urine at night.
- Other children whose bladders have not grown as quickly as the rest of your body can not hold enough urine throughout the night.
- In some , the sphincter may not be strong enough to stay closed , especially at night .
- Other children have a very deep sleep and not get up when their bladder is full .
Treatments and tips from the Spanish Association of Pediatrics ( AEP ) :
- It is important to motivate the child to be the one who want to end the problem . Together you can mark on a calendar the nights remained dry .
- Older children should wash their underwear , even late at night.
- Do not you offer fluids after dinner.
- It must urinate before bedtime.
- Never punish or humiliate him .
There are other treatment methods that belong to the field of psychotherapy ( alarm devices , etc. . ) And medical treatments that reduce the amount of urine at night , able to solve part of the problem . It is very important to know that are used as a last resort treatment and could generate different problems in the child if employed without medical supervision. Consult your pediatrician , he can give an explanation to why wets the bed and give you ideas to help you.