Already on sale are the latest representatives of the Samsung S line from Samsung – S9 and S9 + . Fans of the devices of this brand have no doubt that they are waiting for the next mobile-technical “miracle”.
How did the procession of the advanced series begin and what were the highlights of each device in the top line of phones? Android OS, excellent camera, capacious battery – this is only the initial chips of the series. Further more. How exactly the flagship Galaxy S series developed and what Samsung can offer today to users is described in the article.
The first device in this line was born in June 2010. The gadget managed to make a worthy competition and Nokia , and Apple . He was one of the still small number of devices operating on the Android OS.
The device attracted the attention of users as follows:
- high-quality 4 ″ AMOLED display with a resolution of 800×480 pixels;
- a great 5 megapixel camera (minus – there was no flash);
- working on Android 2.1 Eclair with TouchWiz shell;
- capacious (at that time) battery for 1500 milliamp-hours.
Such a battery could last without additional charge in communication mode for up to 768 minutes, standby time – 750 hours. In addition, the smart phone pleased the owners with a large supply of RAM (512 MB) and a contrast display. Externally, the gadget looked like an iPhone (for which he became the subject of litigation between 2 smartphone companies). In thickness, it was only 9.9 mm, weight – 119 g.
Technical characteristics of the gadget also did not disappoint:
- gigahertz chipset;
- stock internal memory 8/16 GB;
- max memory card size of 32 GB;
- wireless interfaces – GSM, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, 3G;
- touch screen with a range of colors in 16 million
Despite such an abundance of merits, there was a place for criticism. Among the minuses of the device, there was a poor GPS reception and a little inhibited work (the device hardly coped with the TouchWiz shell). Also, many did not like the modest design of the device – a candy bar with beveled corners in silver color.
But overall, it was a decent debut of the flagship Samsung series. Proof of this – the sale of 25 million gadgets around the world.
After 11 months after the release of the first gadget from the line, in May, the Korean brand introduced a new device, modified and improved in all respects. The developers increased the screen size to 4.3 ″ and continued to amaze the public with the saturation of colors and the depth of black shades of the display. Also undergone a design change. The shape of the device has become more angular, the back part has changed the glossy coating to corrugated.
The Galaxy S2 was different from its predecessor as follows:
- 2-core chipset with a frequency of 1.2 GHz.
- High-quality photo module with 8 megapixels.
- Super AMOLED + display matrix with less power consumption.
- Extended memory capacity (RAM – 1 GB, built-in – 16/32 GB).
For its time, the device had an excellent camera – 8 Mp. The main photo module was equipped with autofocus, which helped to achieve amazing clarity of pictures when photographing even moving objects. Also, the flaw of the previous series was corrected here and an LED flash appeared. Such cameras are still equipped with devices, for example, Huawei Y5 2017 DS Gray .
Technical parameters of the device were as follows:
- removable battery for 1650 milliamp-hours;
- screen resolution remains the same – 800×480;
- Android OS 2.3 with a proprietary TouchWiz shell.
The manufacturer has further reduced the body of the device to 8.49 mm and its weight – 116 grams. The front of the gadget in standby mode turned into a mirror.
The minus of the unit was in the singular – the protrusion on the rear panel of the device and its side faces were made of glossy plastic, which immediately showed the slightest scratches. This did not prevent the device to disperse 30 million copies in all corners of the globe.
The third gadget from the top series finally changed the design, reminiscent of all the “apple”, and acquired its own features. The hull turned out to be streamlined and similar to sea pebbles (according to the brand itself). On the sides of the device was a silver-gray edging, which visually broadened the front panel. The design came out minimalistic but stylish.
The Galaxy S3 hit customers with its outstanding technical tooling:
- Huge (by the standards of 2012) and a fairly clear screen – 1280×720 pixels and 4.8 ″.
- The most powerful chipset for 4 cores.
- Support for memory cards up to 32 GB.
- Even more capacious battery for 2100 milliamp-hours.
Even modern gadgets, not all can boast of such a battery. For example, in Keneksi Flash, the battery has only 1800 milliamp-hours.
In addition to decent equipment, the SIII was surprised by the many built-in intelligent options. Here are a few of them:
- S Voice. With the help of voice commands, you could answer or reject the call, reduce the volume of the track or take a photo.
- Smart Stay. Maintained the brightness of the screen while the user was looking at it, for example, intending to surf the Internet.
- S Beam. The option allows you to quickly send your friends video or audio files. It was enough to attach 2 devices to each other and make contact.
All these chips allowed the unit to beat all sales ratings and reach the mark of 60 million sold devices.
There were no drawbacks here either – reduced image quality due to Pentile technology, a flaw in software chips: for example, the Smart Stay option did not always work correctly, because The front photo module sometimes failed to catch the owner’s gaze.
It is possible to consider the device as a breakdown of the Samsung pen in mastering the niche of intelligent mobile devices. Much remained to be finalized, but the parameters of the device have already amazed the imagination.
2013: Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 with 8-core processor
The company was one of the first to equip its new immigrants of the flagship series with an 8-core chipset. It contained 4 high-performance and 4 energy-efficient cores. The system automatically switched between them depending on the work performed. For example, today such a powerful processor can be found in the Huawei P8 lite , which was released last year.
In S4 it is worth noting the following characteristics:
- increased screen size up to 5 inches;
- Full HD display resolution;
- battery power supply increased to 2600 milliamp-hours;
- The main camera received a resolution of 13 megapixels.
The manufacturer continued to correct the flaws of the previous series, and in these gadgets the voice assistants were brought to mind, adding Russian-speaking support to them.
The design of this series has also changed. The back panel of the device has got a glossy surface “under the metal”. It looked very solid and presentable. Another of the innovations worth noting the emergence of a new option Smart Pause. It consisted in the following: if a user viewed a video and looked at something else (for example, looked out the window) the gadget automatically paused the video.
There were a lot of advantages in these gadgets, for example:
- The screen supported touch not only with a hand, but also with various objects. It was possible to work seamlessly with the device in gloves.
- The main photo module was equipped with a flash and the ability to record video in Full HD.
- The gadget could control the look. The smart device analyzed the direction of the owner’s gaze and flipped down the web page himself, writing in an email inbox.
- Thanks to the powerful battery, the gadget could work without additional energy for 14 hours in the communication mode, 10 hours – while watching videos.
There were no minuses in these devices. Excellent phones were produced. Some users still work today.
In this flagship, the manufacturer made another attempt to change the design of the device. Now the back of the gadget resembled something like a patch, which journalists immediately noticed and dubbed the device “plaster”.
In contrast to the not very successful design, the filling of the device was excellent:
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 chipset;
- photomodule 16 Mp;
- enlarged battery by 2800 mAh;
- a good amount of RAM size of 2 GB;
- protection against ingress of liquid and dust (class ip67).
This level of moisture protection allowed owners to seamlessly talk on the phone in the rain. The unit was also not afraid of accidentally spilled drinks on it.
In this version there is a proprietary Samsung application – Health. Thanks to him and a separate sensor, it was possible to measure heart rate, heart rate, count steps and calories burned. A fingerprint scanner has also appeared here: it was integrated into the “home” key on the front of the device. Very convenient feature, it was possible with its help to log in payment programs.
Another feature of the device – energy saving mode. It was possible to extend the time of the device due to the fact that the image on the display became black and white.
Separately worth staying at the camera gadget. She became a 16-megapixel and acquired several new modes. Today, this is no surprise, because Now top devices have dual cameras, for example, Huawei P20 litle (ANE-LX1) . But 4 years ago it was a novelty so novelty. A distinctive feature of the photo module was high-speed work, without delays and slowdowns during filming. Autofocus functioned at a speed of 0.3 seconds. For processing images intended editor of Photo Studio.
In general, the unit came out quite decent, with a variety of software chips, the only drawback is the specific design. But in its next flagship, Samsung solves this problem.
2015: Galaxy S6 SM-G920F from metal and glass
The manufacturer finally listened to the opinion of users and changed the case material from plastic to metal (for example, in the Samsung Galaxy J7 30F is also a metal shell). The front and rear parts of the devices were covered with a glass layer of Gorilla Glass at number 4. Now there were no complaints about the appearance of the gadgets.
In the technical part, the manufacturer also did not pump up and equipped the devices:
- large and high-quality screen size of 5.1 ″;
- good display resolution at 2560×1440 pixels;
- Exynos chipset developed by the company for 8 cores;
- a battery with a capacity of 2550 milliamp-hours;
- 2 photomodules for 16 and 5 megapixels (main and frontal, respectively).
In this series, the manufacturer has pleased users with 2 versions: S6 and S6 Edge. The latter version was produced with a curved display. The ends were not just glass, but also carried a functional load. For example, they displayed missed calls. It was beautiful, but quite marco. Finger marks quickly remained on the glass, but it could also be quickly cleaned.
In S6, the brand never ceases to please its fans with a stunning display. The matrix is traditionally installed Super AMOLED (for example, the Samsung DS A720F is exactly the same), and the pixel density reached a record high of 577 ppi. Wide viewing angles, super contrast, rich colors, the most accurate color reproduction – all these advantages were in displays of this series.
In addition, the gadgets were equipped with updated photo modules. High-aperture cameras made first-class photos. Thanks to the built-in flash, you could shoot in low light conditions.
The deficiencies in the designs of this series were also:
- non-removable battery with a small volume;
- lack of protection against dust and moisture.
All these small errors more than covered the space design of devices and their powerful stuffing.
The manufacturer took into account all the faults of the previous series and in the spring of 2016 presented another 2 updated and modified versions of the flagships. To begin with, the design of the devices was further improved. The back side of the surface became rounded, due to which the device was comfortable to hold in the palm. Frames around the screen have decreased.
The rigging of mobile units was top notch:
|Galaxy S7 SM-G930||S7 Edge SM-G935|
|Battery Capacity (mAh)||3000||3600|
|Number of Cores||eight|
|Wireless charger||there is|
The younger and older versions of the devices differed only in the size of the battery and the size of the display (the curved screen was also present in the S7 Edge). Otherwise, their functionality and filling were identical.
In these gadgets, the Korean manufacturer returned dust and moisture protection, raising its class to IP68 (with the same level of protection, for example, Samsung Galaxy A3 2017 ). You can take pictures and talk in the rain, the devices were not afraid of pollution and the liquid spilled directly on them.
The iron heart of both devices was the Exynos 8 Octa chipset on 8 cores. 4 of them at 2.3 GHz and another 4 – 1.6 GHz. The units worked smoothly and without brakes, coped smoothly with resource-intensive software. Reserve RAM has expanded significantly and was already 4 GB. For those to whom the memory of the devices is small, it was possible to increase its volume with the help of microSD by 200 GB.
Among the chips of devices worth highlighting technology Always On Display. The screen displays the time and new messages even when the gadget is locked. An interesting point – if the device lay face down or the battery was almost discharged, the option was turned off. The battery in the devices was fully charged using wired charging for 100 minutes, wireless – for 60 minutes at 70%.
Also worth highlighting the improved camera gadgets:
- main 12 megapixel with aperture f / 1.7;
- for a 5 megapixel selfie (f / 1.7).
In the photo module was implemented fast autofocus technology. The time has decreased, compared with the previous version, from 0.85 to 0.2 seconds.
There is nothing to write about the shortcomings, because they simply did not exist. The magnificent display, the excellent autonomy, productivity increased by 30% – the main advantages of a series.
It occupies 84% of the front surface. The screen size is 5.8 “for the younger device and 6.2” for the older one. Corning Gorilla Glass is responsible for protecting such a vast glass space. In addition to the size of the display, both models of the unit differ in battery size: S8 – 3000 milliamp-hours, S8 + – slightly more: 3,500 milliamp-hours.
The rest of the filling is identical:
- photomodules – 12 and 8 megapixel (the main and for self);
- number of cores – 8;
- graphic chipset – Mali-G;
- OS – Android 7.0;
- memory expansion – up to 256 GB (slot is combined);
- moisture and dust protection – class IP68.
These 2 representatives of the flagship line have absorbed a lot of useful and unique chips. Namely:
- Display resolution 18.5: 9. Devices have a slightly elongated shape, making it convenient to fit into the palm of your hand and hold much more information. An additional plus is that the screen can be divided into 2 boxes to work in two different applications.
- Photofocus with improved software. Autofocus is instantaneous, continuous shooting can be done at a speed of 16 frames per second. At night, photos are also obtained more detailed.
- High security. The gadgets provide several options for the safety of personal data. So, there is an iris scanner and face recognition option.
- Edge panel. Located on the right side of the screen. With it, additional windows open on the display, for example, with contacts, news frequently used by applications.
- Intellectual assistant. His name is Bixby and he can talk about the weather, find tickets to the theater or the cinema. He also recognizes the subject by photo and finds places on the Internet where you can buy exactly the same.
There is only one minus in these frameless devices and it is associated with viewing videos or pictures. Due to the peculiarities of the content recording format, it is necessary either to stretch the image to the width (then it will seem to “flow” from the edges) or leave it as it is and put up with black stripes on the left and right.
Otherwise, these 2 flagships conquer users with a unique design, a huge display, improved camera and soft chips.
The new “brainchild” Samsung is rich in opportunities for photo and video. You can make great shots in bright or poor lighting (even in the dark). The photo module is equipped with a double aperture and “sees” everything like a human pupil. He independently switches, guided by the level of illumination.
The filling of these 2 devices is beyond praise and includes:
- high-quality photomodules of 12 (main) and 8 (frontal) Mp;
- chipset on 8 cores Exynos 9810;
- frameless screen size 5.8 “(lower version) and 6.2” (high version);
- protection against ingestion of liquids and dirt IP68;
- 3000 mAh (S9) and 3500 mAh (S9 +) battery.
In the talk mode, devices last 22 hours without recharging, video content can be viewed without stopping for 16 hours.
What is interesting about these gadgets? The manufacturer has added to them:
- Super Slow-mo. You can shoot video here at a speed of 960 frames / sec. You can also add slow frames to the ready-made video, mix video and audio, make gifs.
- Smart scan Even in low light conditions, the devices recognize the face of the owner. You can also use a pupil scanner.
- Endless front glass. There is practically no framework here, and the aspect ratio is 18.5: 9. An additional bonus is high-quality stereo speakers (1.4 times more powerful than the S8 G950FD ). Feeling when watching movies, like in a real cinema.
Another fashionable feature of the device is the transformation of your own self-portrait into emoji. Funny and unusual self-made for sure will like your friends.
With such units, you can not worry that the memory on the device is over: there is an opportunity to put a microSD card and expand the storage capacity by another 400 GB. Devices easily connect to a DeX device, and then to a PC monitor. You can view photos, videos from your phone on the big screen.
The latest devices from the flagship line of Samsung have absorbed all the advantages of previous models, got rid of minor flaws and 100% correspond to the title of top devices.
The dynamics of the development of flagships is clearly visible in the table:
|Screen (inch / pixel)||Battery (mAh)||Memory (RAM / integrated)||Camera (main / front), MP|
|Galaxy S GT-I9000||4 800×480||1500 (removable)||512 MB 8/16 GB||5 / 0.3|
|Galaxy SII GT-I9100||4.3 800×480||1650 (removable)||1 GB 16/32 GB||8/12|
|Galaxy SIII GT-I9300||4.8 1280×720||2100 (removable)||1 GB 16/32/64 GB||8/12|
|Galaxy S4 GT-I9500||5 1920×1080||2600 (removable)||2GB 16/32/64 GB||13/2|
|Galaxy S5 SM-G900F||5.1 1920×1080||2800 (removable)||2GB 16/32 GB||16/2|
|Galaxy S6 SM-G920F||5.1 2560×1440||2550 (non-removable)||3 GB 32 GB||16/5|
|Galaxy S7 SM-G930||5.1 2560×1440||3000 (non-removable)||4 GB 32/64 GB||12/5|
|Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935||5.5 2560×1440||3600 (non-removable)||4 GB 32 GB||12/5|
|Galaxy S8 SM-G950 F||5.8 2960×1440||3000 (non-removable)||4 GB 64 GB||12/8|
|S8 Plus SM-G955 F||6.2 2960×1440||3500 (non-removable)||4 GB 64 GB||12/8|
|Galaxy S9||5.8 2960×1440||3000 (non-removable)||4 GB 64 GB||12/8|
|Galaxy S9 Plus||6.2 2960×1440||3500 (non-removable)||6 GB 64/128/256 GB||12/8|
This series knowingly bears the title of flagship, because even the very first of its representatives still “live” in the hands of people (although they are not issued officially). Craftsmen update the firmware to the latest OS and continue to use their favorite devices.
At the same time, fans of new technologies prefer the latest developments in the line – S9 and S9 +. After all, they have everything that users want: wear-resistant batteries, stunning photo modules with great capabilities, endless displays. A huge amount of software chips from Samsung is why this brand remains the top one in the niche of smartphones.